Thursday, April 10, 2008

Wrestling with the FREAKing vacuum cleaner

First, thank you guys for responding to my blog. I only wish I'd read the thing myself sooner to see your comments :) Especially from L-dog in Connecticut! Has anyone yet made the connection, Kaia...Kaine? I'm just saying, the names are close enough and they're both cute; might as well get married.

Yesterday was a sad night. We bought a new vacuum cleaner and it is a beaut. $133 so it should be. Has a hepa filter and the works. Anyway, fucker is heavy and my arm is still gimpy, so I have a hard time getting it out of the box, etc. Still, I slowly, as in turtle time, assemble the thing. And sure as shootin', the forgot to include the two screws that hold the handle to the unit. The only pieces you actually NEED to make the stupid thing go. Since mom is coming home today, AND I ran that thing out through the ran, I sure as FUCK am going to vacuum the goddamn floors. So, I try to find some replacements screws. Where would mom keep the screws? It starts to hit me. Mom used to do all this stuff. I used to be able to just hand her anything and she could fix it, or tell me what to do to problem solve. Screws are obviously a lost cause once I look into the garage and junk drawers. So, I put a rubber band from the handle to the unit. Secure enough. Floors get sucked. Now dad wants help making the bed. After realizing that he has NEVER learned how to tuck in a top sheet (he didn't even know that top sheets weren't just crammed in, for real) I taught him how. As I'm doing this, I have a memory of mom making my bed and showing me how to do corners. I never really paid attention because I loved it when she made my bed. It really hit me that that mom is gone and I loved her so much, love her still. She'll never make my bed, I have to make hers, and I have to fix things myself now. That's sad.

2 comments:

erin_scarin said...

had a similar moment. i was on hold trying to find out payment options for my ohhhhh $5,000 maryland income tax fee i owe and what was the waiting music? fur elise. (sp?) oh fucking christ, right! i cracked up at the hysteria that was building. what are the odds that the hold music for forking over a fuckload of money was mom's one and only piano song. could see her playing it and realized that's just a memory now.
and that's sad.

cyclefreaks said...

You guys can break my heart and make me smile all in the same paragraph. I'd tell you to hang in there but I discovered recently how you hate that saying. :) Wish I'd known sooner, I'm sure I've said it to you a dozen times at least.

As for Kaia and Kaine... why is it we are always hookin' up my 12 week old daughter?? :\